Recorder - Announcements
PROPERTY FRAUD ALERT is available to Holmes County property owners. If your name appears on a document recorded in our office and you've signed up for Property Fraud Alert, you will be notified. Although Property Fraud Alert does not prevent fraud from happening, it does provide an early warning to property owners so they can take appropriate action should they determine there has been possible fraudulent activity. Property Fraud Alert is available on the web at http://pfa.fidlar.com or by calling 1-800-728-3858.
Ohio Revised Code Section 317.24(B)(2) - effective April 6, 2009. This law makes military discharges no longer a public record. Only an authorized party will be able to request non-redacted copies in the recorder's office.
The following are considered authorized parties:
· The person who is the subject of the discharge;
· A county veterans service officer;
· An attorney-in-fact, agent or other representative of the person who is the subject of the discharge;
· A person authorized by a court;
· An executor or administrator, or heir, if the subject of record is deceased;
· A funeral director;
A discharge is not a public record for a period of 75 years after the date of the recording.
The County Recorder's office shall make the record of discharge available only to an authorized party.
A person who is not an authorized party may request to view or copy the discharge. Upon such a request, the Recorder's office shall redact everything but the name, rank, date of birth, date of discharge and type of discharge.
Ohio Revised Code Section 317.114 - document standards. This law went into effect July 1, 2009 and sets the following guidelines for documents recorded:
· Computer font size of at least ten;
· Minimum paper size – 8-1/2 x 11; Maximum paper size – 8-1/2 x 14;
· Black or blue ink only;
· No use of highlighting;
· Margins of 1 inch on each side of the page and on the bottom;
· 3 inch margin on the top of the first page, reserved for recorder, auditor and engineer;
· 1-1/2 inch margin on the top of each of the remaining pages.
The Recorder shall accept a non-conforming document for recording but can collect the following additional fees: $10.00 for the Recorder's services and $10.00 for the Housing Trust Fund.
This law does not apply to the following:
· Any document from any court or taxing authority;
· Any state or federal document;
· Any document executed before the effective date of this law.